With the growing need for digital marketing, several new trends are evolving. One of the most interesting and useful trends witnessed in the recent past is the boost in the popularity of videos. Here are some interesting facts about video consumption:
- According to a 2019 Statista report, YouTube has over 2 billion users worldwide.
- The 25-34 (millennial) age group watches the most online videos.
- Men spend 40% more time watching videos on the internet than women.
- Video drives a 157% increase in organic traffic from SERPs.
- Videos up to 2 minutes long get the most engagement.
- 85% of Facebook videos are watched without sound.
- Video on a landing page can increase conversions by 80% or more.
So, no surprise that 62 percent of businesses use YouTube as a channel to post video content and 87% of online marketers use video content for marketing purposes. However, not everyone can get the optimum performance from their video SEO campaign due to a lack of knowledge in optimizing their videos for SEO.
In this post, we will talk about four simple steps to boost video SEO performance.
Step One – Metadata Optimization
Like any other SEO campaign, Metadata optimization is important for video SEO too.
YouTube Optimization – If you are working on optimizing the SEO performance of your YouTube videos, here are some of the best tips to boost your video SEO:
- Make sure to research for the best keywords and frame the video title and the description by organically including the keywords in them
- Add a high-quality thumbnail image for your video because a video with a custom thumbnail has a greater chance of appearing in video search
- If you are using YouTube videos in your website, it is always advisable to add video sitemaps
- Avoid using duplicate titles and descriptions for multiple videos.
For more detailed information, visit Google’s video best practices
In-Page Video Optimization – Optimizing in-page videos are not different from the optimization of other content types on your website. Here are some guidelines to make your videos easily accessible by search engines and users alike:
- Video Placement – It is advisable to add only one video per page. The placement of the video should be on top of the page.
- Keyword Targeting – The video should be targeted to the primary keyword of the page it is included. Use the primary keyword in the H1 tag of the page, use the H2 tag for putting secondary headings (in case you are putting the whole transcript on the page)
Step Two – Video Transcription
Search engine bots are intelligent they are enhancing their crawling processes regularly. Still, they cannot watch the contents of a video.
What ALT tags are for images, TRANSCRIPTS are for video
To help search bots understand the context and contents of a video, adding video transcripts is a great idea. With the help of video transcripts, search engines will better understand and analyze the relevance of your videos for the targeted set of keywords and you’ll enjoy the better placement of videos in search rankings.
A great way to increase the rankings of your YouTube video in search results is by adding full video transcripts in the description. If you are using an in-page video on your website or blog, add complete transcription on the page. Moz’s whiteboard Friday is a great example of how this is implemented.
Step Three – Captioning and Translation
Closed captioning helps in increasing video views and it also allows search engine bots to read and index the content within the video. With video captions, people with hearing disabilities can also watch videos. For targeting viewers from a different language region, you can also add translations along with videos.
Money Heist, the popular Spanish TV Series was originally aired on Netflix in Spanish with English captions before it was dubbed in English.
Step Four – User Experience
Google says, “Create content for users, not for search engines”. Therefore the prime focus while creating content must be on user experience. If you are hosting your video content on YouTube, Daily Motion, or Vimeo; the problem of the user interface is solved because these platforms provide a truly interactive experience to users. However, if you are self-hosting your videos and including it on your website, you need to make sure that the player you are using for videos is compatible with all platforms and devices.
To increase the reach of your videos, you need to provide easy embed and share features too. Also, all the above tips regarding the META data, video transcripts, captioning, and translations help in enhancing the user experience.
To ensure the best video SEO performance, always hire a trusted video transcription and translation services provider. Set up a meeting with the transcription services provider you are hiring and discuss how they can help you achieve your video SEO goals.
Founder and CEO of Tech-Synergy, a leading provider of audio transcription, translation, medical record review, customer service, call center, and other back-office support services to customers around the world. Staffed with over 500 people and operating round the clock, we work as an extended office for our clients enabling them to be nimble and cost-effective.